Sunday, July 15, 2012

In My Mailbox (Week 1)


Hey guys! TWFT is going to participate in In My Mailbox every Sunday. It was created by The Story Siren as a great way to share weekly hauls of books. Anyway, while TWFT isn't being avalanched (Is that a word? Should be) by books from publicists and authors, we've got a few good reads worth looking at.

Received:
First up is THE AGE OF MIRACLES by Karen Thompson Walker, which is about a girl struggling to come of age in a future when the days start getting longer, in "an era of profound uncertainty" (because obviously, no one knows what the heck's going on with the Earth and the Sun).

I had actually emailed the author's publicist Thursday. It was on my doorstep Friday morning, along with the WSJ's Friday Journal. Random House, I love you forever.

Appropriate Rachel McAdams GIF.
 And, upon opening the package, I discovered with glee that the dust jacket was perforated! And there was an image on the actual cover that completely relates to the book! You know that old adage, "You can't judge a book by its cover"? I am possibly the queen of book-cover-judgers. And I am judging this book so hard. <3


Review to come soon!


Re-read:


I AM THE MESSENGER by Markus Zusak is an evergreen favorite. Whenever I get hung up on bad writing or uninspired dialogue, this book is my go-to. It's got quick pacing, lovable characters, and beautiful sentences. The subject matter's not for your average twelve-year old (I say "average" because at age twelve I'd already read Palahniuk's Lullaby), but all the same, it's a brilliant book with a powerful message. Those Printz judges make finding good books easy!




Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to the conversation! Thank you for commenting on TWFT!